Marchington Woodlands Village Hall
Situated in a tranquil rural setting, the Marchington Woodlands Village Hall was built in 1954 on land donated, by the beneficiaries of the Will of Mr William Martin. In the early years the hall was used extensively both by the Woodlands village school and by a number of very active organisations and societies. The village school is now closed; however, the hall remains a key asset for the village. The village hall and the church are the only remaining centres for communal activity in Marchington Woodlands.
Marchington Woodlands Village Hall is in a beautiful rural location, ideal for any function: wedding, children's parties (great space for children which is secure), special birthday parties, corporate events, meetings, classes, etc. There is additional field space for the addition of a marquee. There are also inner hook points for linings which can be attached with in the hall. There is extensive car parking space available.
The hall is managed by a committee appointed by the local community and designated local organisations. The hall is reliant on grants, lettings income and income from village functions to finance its upkeep and any improvements.
The hall has recently undergone a substantial renovation to modernise and improve the energy efficiency of all aspects of the facility. Recent improvements have included the redecoration of the main hall, the installation of a new kitchen and the creation of a separate bar area.
The hall is fully accessible to disabled persons with all rooms on the ground floor. The available space comprises a large main room, a small stage, a separate kitchen area and toilets. Adjacent to the hall is a 1/2 acre field which is used for a variety of outdoor activities and functions. The hall enjoys beautiful views across the adjacent countryside which is a favourite area for ramblers and cyclists.
The hall is available for hire for public and private functions and is licensed for dances for up to 120 people and for seated meals for up to 90 people. The hall and adjacent field are proving very popular as a country wedding location. Please browse our well equipped facilities HERE and view further booking details HERE
A Brief History of Marchington & Marchington Woodlands
Marchington is a small, attractive village in East Staffordshire, England. It lies between the towns of Burton upon Trent and Uttoxeter, not far from the banks of the River Dove. In many ways it is an idyllic English village.Marchington village was settled by the Saxons and is recorded in the Doomsday Book. An even older settlement lay at the top of Marchington Cliff. Though originally closely aligned with the Brook, the present road pattern can be traced back to the 13th century, their antiquity marked by their deeply sunken character. The oldest surviving houses possibly date back to the 15th century, although it is difficult to be precise because of the custom of continuously building on and around older buildings. Marchington Hall is probably evidence of this as, although bricked over and restored in the late 17th century,
it is thought to be mentioned in a reference dated 1297 as the "chief messuage" and again in 1615 as "utterly decayed".
What is now Marchington Woodlands was literally woodland at the time of Doomsday, but was steadily cleared over the next two or three centuries, including a number of substantial estates now marked by abandoned moats. It remained essentially open woodland pasture held in common by the parishioners. In late Elizabethan times it was enclosed, establishing the field pattern which has largely remained unaltered to the present day. The prosperity of Marchington and The Woodlands has been based from earliest recorded history on dairy farming and today's landscape is rooted deep in the past.
Marchington Woodlands is spread out of an area of around 3 miles. There are two areas called Scounslow Green and Gorsty Hill. The area around Marchington Woodlands is undulating and there are large wooded areas and forests. The area extends SW from Marchington to the distance of three miles. It has a church and a village hall. The local first school was closed in the 1990s and the building was converted into a private home. Marchington Woodlands consists mostly of farms and cottages. It is often referred to by locals as The Woodlands. Marchington Woodlands became a village in 1859 with the opening of the Parish church. It is also the location of Smallwood Manor, formerly the seat of Thomas Webb, Esq, now a Prep school for Denstone College.